Saturday 25 July 2015

Revisiting the Twelfth Doctor: Into the Dalek

Into the Dalek

Fantastic Voyage meets Carnival of Monsters as the Doctor agrees to help a sick Dalek, because it has seen the light and decided to kill its own kind. Here's a reminder of what I remembered from watching it, nearly a year ago:
A good idea - some nice DW continuity references (the mini-scope) and great casting. I remember not being totally impressed with the realisation of their Fantastic Voyage-style adventure - and some of The Doctor's callousness towards death felt hard to accept.
First off, how great does Doctor Who look now? I'm not just comparing to the classic series with theatrical sets and painted green bubblewrap for monster skin - even since the show has been back on the air, this episode looks and sounds incredible. From the sweeping opening shot of the space fighter being chased by a Dalek saucer to the shots of the miniaturised protagonists against the huge internal working of the machine, this is an incredible-looking episode.

Beyond effects, the realisation of a dirty, gritty war-torn future is incredible. In the scenes where the Daleks pour into the human ship, exterminating as they go, they have rarely looked more threatening. It's easy for the Daleks to end up look a bit camp in battle, but the layered fire, sparks and moody lighting completely convince in making these creatures a terrifying killing machine.

The Doctor's callousness is a bitter pill to swallow (not unlike the pill he gives the doomed soldier which we initially assume is to save him, but turns out to be a device for the Doctor to track his remains). But I got to thinking about the bystanders that died in previous Doctors' eras. Moments such as "Forest of the Dead" where Doctor #10 tells the Vashta Narada "You know what? I really liked Anita. She was brave, even when she was crying. And she never gave in. And you ate her. But I'm going to let that pass. Just as long as you let them pass." There has always been a level of pragmatism in the Doctor's approach to death. I'd forgotted how desperately Doctor #12 tries to stop the squaddie from the action which later causes his death - but it strikes me that if it had been Clara, or another assistanct (for which read: important character) he would have found a way. But as I recall, humans taking responsibility for their own choices is a theme for this series and explains a lot of the Doctor's actions.

Great story though. Gripping adventure - and I enjoyed the contrast with the "real life" storyline in Clara's teaching job. The Doctor's own hatred of the Dalek proving to be the final straw is an interesting development. The Dalek's assertion "You are a good Dalek" would have been more shocking if we hadn't already had a Dalek tell Doctor #9 "You would make a good Dalek."

A couple of unexplored human issues branched out for me with this. When they realise the Dalek isn't good, he's just suffering an injury, it reminded me of how sometimes a person can be a angry/violent/difficult person, but if they suffer a stroke or dimentia it can completely change their personality. I'd have enjoyed more of an exploration between the concept of being good versus suffering forced behaviour change - but that's an aside.

From my comments above, I think I originally found it strange how much empty space existed inside the Dalek. This time, it didn't bother me and of course in the classic era days, characters were forever climbing inside Dalek cases to hide or infiltrate. Memory is a funny thing. Maybe I need Clara to reconnect a few circuits for me.

Still, I remember enjoying this episode and I enjoyed it even more on a second viewing. Definitely one of the stronger outings for the Daleks.

No comments:

Post a Comment